the pulaski

I'm currently reading one of Nora Roberts' newer books, Chasing Fire.

Here is part of the blurb from the back cover:-

Rowan Tripp is addicted to danger. Ever since she turned eighteen, Rowan has been a "smoke jumper",  fighting back the ferocious forest fires that sweep through the Montana mountains each year.

Once past the first chapter, the story became quite riveting and I didn't like having to put it down and go to work.
I read over breakfast, on the bus, before my shift started, on the bus on the way home.

Well, that's not new, it's what I always do.
But some books are easier to put down than others.....

Back to the point of this post...the Pulaski.
Throughout the story, mention is made of something called The Pulaski, a firefighting tool that I had never heard of.
Halfway through chapter 25, I finally decided to google pulaski and see what came up.....

and here it is.

Information from Wikipedia says:- the tool combines an axe and an adze in one head, similar to that of a cutter mattock. The Pulaki is a versatile tool for constructing firebreaks as it can be used  to both dig soil and chop wood.

Fire fighting is not something I would ever do, I'm not that brave, but I certainly do appreciate those who do to keep me safe.

The characters in this book jump out of light aircraft, landing right in the thick of the blazing action and get to work digging firebreaks, cutting down trees and dead wood that might further fuel the fire, pumping water on the flames and stamping out spot fires started by sparks.
Wow!

Just WOW!!

Comments

  1. And isn't it criminal that so many fires are lit by sorry excuses for human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite the tool. What a brave occupation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So THAT'S what it's called.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delores; much braver than me, that's for sure.

    EC; yes it is. They should be made to stand by and watch as someone torches something they hold precious. (not their home or family)

    Joanne; It's a handy tool, probably be good around the garden or a farm too.

    Toni; I never knew either and now that I do, I'll probably never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great read. Thanks for the heads up and for the info on the fire-fighting tool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, sounds... interesting. i'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leenie; welcome to drifting. I like a lot of Nora Roberts books, they're essentially romance stories, but with a fair bit of action and suspense too.

    Catherine, ex oh mwah!; glad to point you in the direction of a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought a Mattock not long ago and this thing is similar but better...I want one. (and a strong back to be able to swing it)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tempo; I'd like a strong back too, but I have no intention of ever swinging a mattock or a pulaski either. Do a google search and see if you can get one here in Aus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had a Fireman's axe for about twenty years. I found it in an op shop of all places. It came with a belt (which I've since lost) and also with a tool to open fire hydrants. The axe is exactly 17 inches long (can be used two-handed) and has a rounded wooden handle. The axe head is similar to the one pictured except that it's chrome-finished and the back section is curved like an ice pick. I collect this sort of thing, another of my curiosities is a German bayonet with scabbard from WW1.
    Fire breaks are made with earth-moving machinery, not axes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. R.H. Interesting collection. My first husband used to collect stuff. He kept all his webbing and the stuff that hung off it from his time in Vietnam, the machete came in handy a few times when clearing overgrown shrubs in the back corners of the yard.
    In fiction novels firebreaks are made however the author wants them to be made.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs