Sunday Selections # 105



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.


I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week I'm continuing with some photos that I took while in the Botanic Gardens recently.

BEGONIAS 
In one of the shade houses there is a large Begonia plant, I'm not sure what variety of Begonia it is, there are so many. 

This one has speckled leaves and delicate pink flowers.

Elephant's Child has one of these in her garden, perhaps she can tell us which variety it is. 

This is a different plant, the flowers are longer and the leaves not speckled, but I believe it is still a Begonia.

In this photo you can see the speckled leaves again, the two plants are very close together and the flowers are almost the exact same colour.

Again, speckled leaves amongst the plain and the delicate stems holding the flowers are the same as the first photo.
Pink and green together is one of my favourite colour combinations.



Comments

  1. Aren't begonias a treat? The leaves are often gorgeous, or fascinating or both, and the flowers are a bonus. I picked up the delicate pink one at the markets one year so am not quite certain of its name - I have heard it called angel hair. Whatever, I love it. Thank you for this post - I needed to be reminded about beauty this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have wimpy little bigonia plants here. Yours are gigantic and beautiful. Pink makes such a soft delicate flower

    ReplyDelete
  3. A dear friend of mine from long ago (she was my bridesmaid at my first wedding in 1953) belonged to the Begonia Club and tried to get me interested but I unfortunately never had much luck with them at all. I love to look at them so thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures. It was nice to be reminded of Wilma who left this mortal coil far too soon at the age of 57.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like begonias and it was nice to see such photos of them.

    Hopefully, this year, I might be able to grow some begonias in the alleged British 'summer'.

    Enjoy your Sunday.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elephant's Child; now that you've mentioned Angel, I'm pretty sure it's the Angel Wing begonia.

    Manzanita; Australia does have some lovely big flowers, but we have tiny little things too. and we certainly don't have those giant redwood trees the USA (or is it Canada?) is famous for. I love those!

    Mimsie; my mum was good with begonias too. I had a small one in a pot when I lived in Melbourne and she took a cutting to grow. When I visited a few years later she showed me how the "cutting" was taking over the back porch at her house. I'd had no idea they could get that big, since mine was still small.

    klahanie; they are very pretty. Perhaps you could google the best environment for them and pick a place where they would do best. Back porch, front porch, inside by a window...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These photos are beautiful, River. The first one is particularly 'poster worthy'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! I've never seen a begonia with that lily-of-the-valley look about them. They're quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kath Lockett; thank you.

    Susan; thank you too. Now I have to google lily-of-the-valley.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs