Sunday Selections # 123



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. hop on over to The Elephant’s Child to see more of her wonderful photos.

Kath and Andrew often join in as well.

I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week I'm continuing with some photos of the gardens and streets surrounding these flats I live in.
The Gum trees  (Eucalypts) around here are almost all of the flowering kind; now that the flowers are finished for this year, the trees are filled with what we call gumnuts. 
Some shrubs have similar seed pods after flowering and I call those gumnuts too. 
Here they are....





 this one is a little blurry...



No dialogue, just photos.


Comments

  1. Some of them look like black olives, which I adore. What a ridiculous comment, but that's what came immediately to mind when I saw the first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They would look good in a dried arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them. And I don't see the ants which are always all over the gum nuts here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see spider webs. I wonder if spiders live in the old gum nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't they wonderful?
    Beautiful little pods - like nature's little art sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joanne Noragon; there was a tree right next to that shrub and it was loaded with black olives.

    Delores; they are used often in dried arrangements.

    Elephant's Child; the ants were all over the footpath.

    Andrew; sometimes they do, mostly in the bigger ones.

    Vicki; I like them cleaned and sprayed gold as part of a Christmas decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating! I've never seen those before - not surprising, really, as they're not native to UK;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. jabblog; I get happy when I can show people something they've never seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely amazing! We certainly don't get anything like that here in my corner of Canada! Rose hips. But definitely no gumnuts. Loved your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree....there are so many different 'gum nuts" some of which are so tiny and others are huge. Do you remember when boy scouts used gum nuts to 'tie' their scarves around their necks. Can't remember now what they were called.
    Please don't be offended River but the first two pics? Are they perhaps seed pods on bottlebrushes and not gum trees? Do correct me if I'm wrong. No matter as they are really special the way they stay there year after year if bushes not pruned (as ours aren't very often).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diane Tolley; we get rose hips too, we're so lucky out here. Ha ha. But we don't get snow. Well, 99% of Australia doesn't get snow.

    Mimsie; I don't know anything about the boy scouts. I'm not sure what those first two pics are, I know they aren't gum trees, they're a small shrub and I don't recall seeing the flowers, so can't be sure if they are bottle brushes. I thought they might be a form of banksia or grevillea, but without seeing flowers, I won't be sure. I'll make a note to take notice next summer when there should be flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs