Sunday Selections # 139



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.
Kim spends more time writing at The Shake these days.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. hop on over to The Elephant’s Child to see more of her wonderful photos.

Kath and Andrew often join in as well, although Kath has been quite busy lately and unable to join us.

I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week I'm continuing with some photos of my new vegetable beginnings.

remember this from a few weeks ago?

baby rhubarb

look at it now!  See that one on the left?

it already has a tiny new crown forming off to one side!
look at those lovely red stalks.
They're only a couple of inches long, it will be a couple of years before I can safely harvest any.

the beans have begun...

the garlic is going well....


even the mini cucumbers in mini peat pots have started growing.

I also have mini tomatoes, (cherry or grape I can't remember which) and mini lettuces in mini peat pots, but nothing is happening with those.
Possibly the seeds are too old.
I have newer ones, I'll try those if nothing happens in the pots by next week.

Just to top things off, I've been seeing butterflies this spring. Lots of butterflies. I went to the mailboxes one day last week and there were half a dozen of them all lined up on top, but I didn't have the camera. I did manage to get photos a day later of one on my front table and again yesterday on the front door.

this is yesterday's butterfly above.

this is last week's butterfly.
I followed him a bit as he learned to fly...






then I lost sight of him in the trees.

almost forgot, my neighbour Pat watched me plant the seaside daisies last week and offered me some seeds of a dwarf sunflower. Naturally I said yes....

one has already started growing!
See that blurry red shoot with the seed still attached to its head?
Dwarf Sunflower. I can't wait for these to bloom. Pots of sunshine.














Comments

  1. How exciting. Pretty and delicious (the plants), and I love butterflies too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite looking forward to another spring and summer, even on the other side of the world. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be very satisfying to grow things from seed. We will look forward to the results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..lots of action in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elephant's Child; it is exciting seeing things pop up out of the soil. I've seen more butterflies this year than in the last five. I'm glad to see them coming back.

    Joanne; I'm happy to share our spring and summer with you.

    Andrew; I'll try not to bore with too many photos though.

    Delores; lots of action from the snails and slugs too, three of my seaside daisies have been reduced to leafless stalks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing well with your plantings. Do you really have to wait two years before harvesting rhubarb? I'd thought of growing some but perhaps not!! Love the butterflies; beautiful colours.
    Will be interesting to see how the dwarf sunflowers turn out. Can't wait to see them bloom.
    We seem to have an over abundance of snails this year too. They seem to be everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel very excited for you River! I love to see all things garden, and look forward to the progress in yours.
    I remember planting sunflowers against a north-facing shed wall years ago in W.A. They grew tall and had smiley sunny heads.
    Will look forward to your dwarf sunnies - very cute.

    So lovely to see butterflies! I've noticed a few here too.
    And, you captured some beauties :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mimsie; new crowns need time to mature enough to withstand the constant trimming of stalks. If you take too many too soon, it dies. Even with older crowns, if you take too much it can take too long to recover. I say starting a new plant is worth it if you eat rhubarb whenever it is available, in just a couple of years you'll be saving the high prices you pay in the supermarket.

    Vicki; there will be more progress as the days warm up. I'll have some larger pots soon and will plant tomatoes, capsicums and lettuce, but only baby cos, it's the only one I can eat often. I'll be planting mini rockmelon too and maybe starting some pumpkins for next winter harvesting, unless it is too early. I'll have to check.
    It's great to see the butterflies coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work River :-) I still haven't gotten round to planting anything. I have the garden bed built, but that's as far as I got.
    I love the butterflies too - we went to Melbourne Zoo a couple of weeks ago & the butterfly house was as always, a highlight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that's exciting. Spring is nearly here! I've started to see more butterflies around the garden the past few days too - always lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. River
    Aren't you the clever one.... getting all your veggies ready and I have to put mine to sleep. The old switcher-roo. Your plants look lovely and will reward your efforts soon. My rhubarb died this year. Just bit the dust completely.
    I've noticed more butterflies this year, too. I thought maybe it is because I have more flowers in the yard. You got some vivid shots. Hope you are enjoying or have enjoyed Sunday. A good week to you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy shots! Oh for some rhubarb. Looking forward to your dwarf sunflower!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sleepydwarf; I thought about a garden bed, but the gardens here are community property, so any vegetables or fruit could be picked by anyone. I'm happy enough to add flowers, but veg will be in pots on my tiny porch.

    Jackie K; I'm glad to see the butterflies, they've been in short supply for the last few years.

    Manzanita; Rhubarb will do that after several years, it's long-lived, but still has a termination point. Time to plant a new crown. My daughter's rhubarb was already well established when we all moved in there back in 1998, it was still going strong until my other daughter took some crowns from it, then just recently I took some tiny crowns because it wasn't producing any decent sized ones and not many stalks either. Then it died. I'll get her a replacement from the nursery next time I go, mine are too small to move again.

    Susan Kane; I still have some frozen cooked rhubarb in the freezer, after that I'll have to rely on what I get in the supermarkets until my own is big enough to harvest. I'm looking forward to the dwarf sunflower too, I've never grown any before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love watching things grow... and better still when you can eat them! The butterfly visitors are so beautiful and I love the symbolism of butterflies...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gabrielle; I like food plants too, you get a feast for the eyes when they blossom, then a feast for the tummy when the fruits grow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs