Sunday Selections #156



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. hop on over to TheElephant’s Child to see more of her wonderful photos.

Kath and Andrew often join in as well, although Kath has been quite busy lately and unable to join us.
There are several other participants now though:
Jackie K at WorkingThrough It

I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week I'm continuing with a few photos from my Port Pirie trip.

When the railway lines were removed from the main street, decades ago, nobody really cared what happened to them. As far as I know. I could be wrong.

But when some tracks were removed more recently from the Pirie South railway station, they were used to create artworks which are on display along Wandearah Road, following along close to the new miniature tracks. 

I didn't photograph every single one, just a few, but I think you'll agree they're pretty clever and quite nice to look at.

clicking to enlarge will enable you to see the designs more clearly.














I think they're all very clever, I know I wouldn't have thought to do anything like this with a heap of scrap iron.I'm just not artistic enough to see the possibilities.

Then there's this......

painted stobie pole. Isn't it just so...fun? I love it.







Comments

  1. So MUCH better than just junking them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are great, further impressing me about PP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The art is wonderful, the stobie pole brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoyed seeing those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fishducky; it's a MUCH better idea, I'm glad somebody thought of it.

    Andrew; maybe you could go there and wander around one day.

    Joanne; South Australia has a lot of painted stobie poles. Not too many in my area, but I've seen a few when passing through other suburbs.

    Delores; me too, it's nice to see something recycled and painted up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always pleased to see them recycle the rails rather than simply chuck them away to be a rusting eyesore on the landscape. Some of them are particularly clever and beautiful (picture 3 really appealed) I love the fact that the artwork pays homage to the original use of the rails. Great initiative.

    I'd never seen painted stobie poles, but that's also a great idea as they are appallingly ugly. I'd quite forgotten jjust how awful they are. We don't have stobie poles here, but we do have "roundabout dogs". If you look at Google images for "rondellhund" you'll see some of them. People build a dog out of old scrap materials and they place them on a roundabout in town (Sweden is obsessed with flipping roundabouts!). I love them. Some are really clever and well done - and you always smile when you see them. I imagine that the stobie pole art would produce the same reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie; Adelaide has quite a few painted stobie poles in the suburbs, people paint them to make their homes easily identifiable for visitors-"look for the pole with big sunflowers"-that sort of thing. I'll google rondellhund now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some folk are so creative. What wonderful designs and so distinctive too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs