Wednesday's Words on a Friday



On Wednesdays, Delores, from Under The Porch Light, has a meme which she calls

“Words for Wednesday”.

She puts up a selection of six words which we then use in a short story, or a poem.

I’m hopeless at poetry so I always do a story.

It’s a fun challenge…why not join in?

This week's words are:

1. petulant
2. raging
3. pigpen
4. unidentified
5. bucket
6.ephemeral

we also have..."indignant night when first the light of dawn doth break", which sounds rather Shakespearean to me. I'll put that on the back burner for now.

Here is my story:

Christy's face wore a petulant expression as she carried the bucket of sloppy scraps to the pigpen.
Just last week there'd been a raging fight with Mum about always being the one to do this job. Why couldn't Sandy or Bob take a turn? They were big enough to carry a bucket now, they were eight and nine years old for gosh sakes! 

Christy slowed as she passed Mum's spring flower bed, a large patch of dark loamy soil showing many new spikes of green where the unidentified bulbs were coming up. 
No one knew what they would be until the flowers bloomed. 
Mum had tried a new planting method this year. 
Four dozen mixed bulbs were placed in the basket and thrown onto the patch, then buried wherever they landed. A week later, mum threw another four dozen. 
Spring would be a surprise this year!

Turning towards the pigpen, Christy noticed with pleasure a rainbow stretching over the field, from the barn to the Douglas Firs on the hill behind. Her joy was ephemeral however, the rainbow fading as quickly as she walked. 

After tossing the scraps into the trough, Christy reached through the fence to give Punky a good scratch behind the ears. 
She loved that and Christy thought she deserved it. Punky had recently delivered six healthy young piglets. With those and the seven delivered by Ruby last month, Dad now had enough to sell as well as keeping a couple for the table.

Comments

  1. Gorgeous. And I use a fairly similar approach in putting my own bulbs in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like she doesn't mind the job all that much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like pigs, I like their grunty noises not sure about the smell, but it would be hard to sell the piglets they are cute.
    Merle...............

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done it again...told a delightful story.
    Pigs are wonderful creatures and very intelligent. They are not dirty by nature, it is the way they are kept that makes people think that.
    Unfortunately you won't be able to scatter the bulbs you bought but you can just pretend to.
    P.S. I've not sent you a book of late as I remember reading that you have lots to read but will send another eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I resemble all of those words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elephant's Child; so much better than neat orderly rows!

    Delores; she was probably having a bad day when the fight with mum happened, but she ha a point, the brothers are old enough to carry the bucket sometimes.

    Merle; I prefer pigs when they are called ham.

    Mimsie; I've seen pigs on a farm when I was younger; they were so clean with fresh straw for sleeping and lovely clean yards to run around or lie in. So different from those awful sow stalls shown on TV.
    I do have plenty of books to read, so there is no need to hurry with another one. I haven't yet read the last one, Bolt.

    Lee; so are you Christy or Punky? Ha Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely short story. You certainly weave magic with those words! An online friend of mine has just welcomed a dear little piglet (named Poppy, isn't she cute?) on to her farm and the very next blog I read is yours, all about piggies as well. What a delightful co-incidence.

    When I saw "pigpen" I thought of my houise, which needs a thorough spring clean (I'm avoiding looking at the dust bunnies and filthy windows...) but you've chosen a much better line of thought.

    I planted 500 bulbs rather randomly in the autumn and they are slowly coming to life now. But because I'm a control freak, I know what was planted where :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A slice of life, I love it. Like E.C., I have thought about tossing some unknown seeds/bulbs out to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marie; poppy is a wonderful piglet name. My house resembles a "pigpen" often enough with cups, books, papers everywhere, shoes under the coffee table..
    I'll be planting 185 bulbs soon, I hope I have enough pots!

    Susan Kane; do it! Toss a bucket of mixed bulbs and plant them where they land! Take photos when they come up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs