Sunday Selections # 193



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. hop on over to TheElephant’s Child to see more of her wonderful photos.

Andrew, Jacki K and Kakka often join in.

I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week we're back in my garden. 

the birdbath has been installed in the garden, I buried it deep so it wouldn't topple over and roll away, also so small animals can get water. Like the blue tongue lizard that lives nearby, I saw him yesterday.

I also placed it near the front corner so it can be easily seen, with fast growing seedlings behind it.

marigolds, can't wait for these to flower, I love the bright orange colour.

these stocks are from a packet of mixed colours a neighbour gave me, so the colours will be a surprise.

the hollyhocks are growing from seed I collected on my walks around the neighbourhood when I first moved in. I put each colour seed in separate envelopes, but for this planting I took a few from each and mixed them in a cup, then planted randomly. They will be pink, dark pink and near black.

a whole bunch of anemones blooming all at once!

same anemones the next day.

mixed freesias

a different view.

freesias with red ranunculus to the left. I think ranunculus are members of the buttercup family, is that right?

most of the pots have been moved down into the garden, they were getting sunburnt up on the porch, delicate anemones with crisp brown edges....

I grouped the pots by flower type and tried to place them where they would look good, but it's a bit messy. The pots just aren't pretty. 
My plan is to plant the bulbs next season in the spots where the pots are now, for drifts of mixed colours.

the rectangular pots of grape hyacinth and bluebells are edging the front corner. The ground is uneven so nothing is sitting right, but once the pots are gone, that won't matter. 

let's finish with photos of my favourites.    Ixias.

I'm definitely buying more of these!

in every colour I can find.

very nice.

I still need to decide what else to put in between the other stuff. 
Small, non invasive, hardy, colourful. 
I'll keep looking.


















Comments

  1. Such happy colours in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good lord I'd love to take you plant shopping!! Anemones? I never thought of them! Marigolds? Now? Mine went belly up in June from the heat I guess. I've got an Alamanda I love, because it grows no matter what I do to it. I have to plant flowers by sinking pots into the sand and filling the pots with "store bought dirt". What an insult. Having to BUY dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is looking really, really good. Another convert to the addiction of bulbs. And ixia are gorgeous aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, ranunculas are members of the buttercup family, River.

    It's amazing how quickly the anemones opened. Nature at its brilliant best.

    Your garden is happy...and the birds and other small critter will be too.

    Have a good week, River and hugs to Angel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My all time favourite is freesias, I just love the smell and for some reason they don't upset my nose.
    A blue tounge, lucky you .
    Merle.................

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bulbs are a great idea. Some freesias don't smell, but the ones that do are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking gorgeous River. Love the bird/small animal bath/water source. Lets hope you get lots of visitors to enjoy, I know I love watching birds in our bird bath on a warm summer's day.

    Those Ixia are truly lovely, are they hard to grow?

    Freesias, while beautiful, really do upset my sinuses and make me sneeze lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the wonderful pictures; especially my favorite little anemones! Next spring, next spring and I'll have them up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delores; happy person = happy garden. I do like colour and I get it where I can, since I can't paint my walls.

    lotta joy; marigolds do very well in the heat, I've had them in many of my gardens. I've never heard f Alamander, I'll google for images. I buy potting mix for my pots and when I plant out something that has been in a pot, I leave the potting soil around the roots so as to minimise shock when they start searching for water in the surrounding soil. We don't have good soil here in Adelaide, it's clay which packs as hard as concrete after rain and has very little nutrient value to plants. The garden bed you see there is covered in about three inches of mulch, over not-too-bad soil that had large ugly grass plants planted before I got them ripped out.

    Elephant's Child; I think it might look better if I space the pots a bit more. Ixias will definitely outnumber the rest in a year or so. They're too pretty to resist.

    Lee; I thought they were, I remembered something I read a long time ago, just a tickle in the memory. I'm amazed those anemones opened all together, it made a lovely display. I hope the lizard enjoys the garden and stays around.

    Merle; I love freesias too, but now they're in second place with Ixias first. I hope the blue-tongue has a long and happy life here.

    Andrew; I haven't dared put my nose too close to the freesias, I'm still suffering from the jasmine that's everywhere here.

    Kakka; I hope the bird bath gets plenty of use, I'm hoping to see a dragonfly or three eventually. Ixias are bulbs and easy to grow. Plant them, water them regularly but don't drown them, then sit back and wait for the display.

    Joanne; my anemones are quite large, the blooms would almost cover the palm of my hand. Is that a usual size? They are about 30cm tall. I'm looking forward to seeing your spring photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have quite an extensive garden with a lot of variety. Anemone is one of my favorite blooms. They last and outlast. That design of that birdbath is sooo attractive. You are having such fun getting ready for summer while I am covering as all my flowers are getting ready for sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh boy am I running late his week but hopefully better late than never.
    Your garden is quite miraculous and I love all the colours. You have done a wonderful job.
    I grew coloured freesias in the garden for a few years but found they didn't have the scent like the white ones which perhaps is just as well for my hay fever.
    I love your ixias and they are so like the flowers that come up in our garden every year, only ours are white. I am wondering if ours are spraxias. I must look it up.
    Thank you so much for sharing the results of all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs