Sunday Selections # 319

Welcome back to Sunday Selections.

Begun way back in the mist of time by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock and now continued by me, with a drastic relaxation of rules.


Originally meant for showcasing old photos lost on your files, never seeing the light of day, the meme has morphed into photos of your choice, new or old, good or not-so-good, anything you please, but nothing rude please.


If you are participating, please leave me a comment so I can buzz along and have a look.
Elephant's Child always participates, and her pictures are always worth seeing.


Today (yesterday) we're taking a walk from my home to the local shopping centre, because I'm out of ice cream and that just won't do. Also to buy the newspaper to read the Real Estate section, something I do every Saturday.

A new home foundation on the block down the street. Again, this will be two homes on one block, but instead of side by side, these will be one in front and one behind.

and protected by Termi Mesh, which is a great idea that I will use if I should ever be lucky enough to build a home.

winning one of these would help a lot.

daytime temperatures are still too warm, but nights are cool, so it's autumn here, and lillypilly trees are heavy with gorgeously coloured berries

the street trees, Chinese Elm? Chinese Tallow? 

have bunches of papery bronze seed cases

which look like lanterns to me, so I call them Lantern Trees

some roses are still flowering

others have browned off
 while some are already forming hips

some of the gum trees already have bunches of gumnuts

others continue to flower

even as their own seed pods (gumnuts) develop
 
Jacaranda flowers are long gone

replaced by seed pods, some still green, others browned and opened to release the seeds.

pomegranates shine within their greenery

leaves are yellowing


and falling.

mid-morning sun shines through palm fronds 

yet the moon is reluctant to leave, even at 10.15am
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Comments

  1. I've never heard of Termi Mesh or lillypilly trees!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fishducky; we live in a high termite area, so somebody much smarter than me developed termi-mesh. I really should look into it and see exactly what it is so I can describe it better. Lillypillys are a tallish, fairly fast growing tree, with glossy green leaves and the purple berries much loved by our rainbow lorikeets. In older times, settlers harvested the fruit and made jam, but I don't think anybody would bother now.

      Delete
  2. Loved wandering with you. We too are (finally) having cool nights. Nights to snuggle into bed. Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; the nights certainly are blissful now and sleep comes easier with the cooler air.

      Delete
  3. I am perfectly happy with where I live, and yet I also like to read the real estate section. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joeh; not so crazy, everybody has something they like to dream about, and by looking at some of the open inspections online, we see ideas for our own homes that we may not have thought about.

      Delete
  4. A great selection this week. I am never sure at this time of the year whether leaves are beginning to fall because it is Autumn or they are being dropped as it is so dry. A few years ago after a succession of 40 degree days, there was a massive leaf drop and it looked like Autumn. Not too many plants look as bad as a rose with dead and dying flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; I suspect you are right about the leaf drop, if we had a more definite division between the seasons we'd know for sure. I agree dead and dying roses do look sad and I think the owner of that strip will soon be out there with her secateurs again.

      Delete
  5. I hope you took your lovely photos on the way out before you bought your ice cream!!

    The lilly-pilly tree growing to the side of my cabin is a very healthy tree. It's looking very lush.

    We had storms throughout the night bringing some lovely rain and I woke to more of the delicious stuff this morning. It's lingering around. I hope it lasts all day.

    I hope you win one of those jackpots advertised, River! :)

    And I hope you have a great week (which you will if you win the Lotto!)...cuddles to Angel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; I took photos coming and going but the icecream was in an insulated bag, so I wasn't too worried about the extra few minutes.
      I'm glad to hear you had rain, the air seems so much fresher the morning after.
      I hope I win too.

      Delete
  6. .. lovely walk River... I like the LillyPilly trees... they make a bit of a mess when the flowers and berries fall ... but so do other plants ...my Mum hates them because she felt she had to sweep up the 'mess' off the paths in the complex where she used to live in case someone slipped on it ... the gardeners only came once a month.... Mum doesn't like leaves on the ground for the same reason.... she won't go out in our back yard because of fallen leaves from the Camphor Laurel tree.. they fall all year round .. xxxxxx .. glad you got your ice cream and paper .. xxxx
    .. have a great day .... Barb xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara; I get annoyed with the mess here too, berries all over the driveway and footpath and no one seems to sweep them off. They aren't close enough to my flat to bother me and everyone else has cars or mobility scooters. The birds drop a lot of the half eaten berries too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, love these photographs. You show the new and the old. Ever changing nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie; thank you, I like to make it a bit of a story if I can.

      Delete
  9. Good selection of autumn as you walked to get ice cream, yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret-whiteangel; if I hadn't run out of ice cream, you may have had to put up with a random selection from 2010.

      Delete
  10. I am sure you think I have gone MIA but I am trying to get some blogging in today. I always love your photos. Just as things are dying back there, we are seeing things starting to bud out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs