Wednesday's Words on a Friday

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write, a story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.
If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.

This month the words are supplied by me and can be found right here.

This week's words are:


1. speakers
2. clock
3. condense
4. abundance
5. famous
6. extension

and/or:

1. stuttering
2. marble
3. newest
4. highway
5. coffee
6. doorway

Here is my story:

Camille kept one eye on the clock and one on the doorway as the newest of the amateur speakers was stuttering his way through his speech. 

She'd heard one of tonight's speakers was to be a famous author, there to guide and encourage the wannabe young writers through their first public appearance. They were to say a few words about their book/manuscript and get a feel for audience reaction.

The emcee had announced a small extension of the proceedings to give Ms. Maddie Kelsey** a little more time to arrive.

Most of the audience had lost interest at that point, with a few whispers that maybe Maddie Kelsey wasn't coming at all. 
Perhaps her name had been used just to get bums on seats.

They were clustered now around the marble-topped buffet table where coffee and sweet creamy cakes were laid out in abundance. No one paid any more attention to the stage where the young stutterer had faded to a halt, twisting his hands anxiously.

Camille noticed the fog outside begin to condense and decided she'd waited long enough. Meeting Maddie Kelsey would have to happen some other time. 
She left the hall, started her car and headed for the highway.

** totally fictitious author

 

Comments

  1. Super use of the words ...
    I enjoyed your story.

    Have a great Friday - we are still on Thursday - it can get confusing!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lowcarb team member; thank you. I don't get confused anymore, I'm here too often, I'm used to the time difference.

      Delete
  2. That was a good one. Sorry I wasn't here on Wednesday to get the words..no internet service for the last 3 days....I'll get to work on them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only slightly confused; thank you, and there's no rush. Use the words whenever you're ready, or when the internet service allows.

      Delete
  3. Is this part of a story to be added on to, or just to use these words?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S.J. Qualls; I'm never sure myself whether something will be a 'stand-alone' just to use the words, or if it will eventually tie in with something else I've already written or may write in the future.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I agree with EC. I'm new here. Enjoying the fun ya'll have. Cheers and boogie boogie.

      Delete
    3. The Happy Whisk; welcome to drifting and thank you. Feel free to join us in this weekly challenge. The words are supplied by different people each month, this month is my turn, next month is EC.

      Delete
  5. Lovely as always. Hope she got through the fog ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret-whiteangel; thank you. She gets home just fine, it's a small town, not far from the hall which is often used for weekend Dance Nights.

      Delete
  6. Poor Maddie Kelsey went to the wrong venue! She turned up at the hall down the road and was so disappointed to discover it in darkness and devoid of not only people, but cream cakes and steaming coffee, too!

    Well done, River. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; Maddie Kelsey was a complete no-show, didn't even make it into the state. I'm not sure yet what has happened to her, but she is alive and well...
      thank you

      Delete
  7. Good story, and quite a challenge to work on a list of words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie; thank you. I enjoy these little challenges each week.

      Delete
  8. Perhaps Camille should have stayed to encourage the speakers herself. Now you have made the fictitious Maddie Kelsey famous:-) Yes River we were traveling in the same vein. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie; maybe Camille is also too shy and not all of the audience were wannabe writers, some were just there to listen and maybe support those who were speakers. Camille was there only to meet Maddie Kelsey.

      Delete
  9. Great story. after the first few sentences, it didn't seem to be a W.Words story, but standing on its.

    Maddie missed out on a lot. Creme cakes, mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; thank you. I do try to write something that can stand on its own, and maybe at a later point get a chapter two or three added.
      Cream cakes and coffee are a favourite afternoon tea for me. I almost never have them anymore.

      Delete
  10. .. good story River.. I liked it .. xxxxx
    ..Barb xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It took me a while to get here, but I made it! (I didn't forget...)

    Terrific use of the words. Hmmm, I wonder if that poor hapless writer got in an accident in that nasty fog. (Surely, no writer would be a no-show on purpose!)

    I'd say have a nice weekend, but you've already written your Monday post, I noticed. Okay, so I'll wish you a terrific week. (Me? I'm still enjoying the weekend...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs