Sunday Selections #323

Welcome back to Sunday Selections.

Begun way back in the mist of time by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock and now continued by me, with a drastic relaxation of rules.


Originally meant for showcasing old photos lost on your files, never seeing the light of day, the meme has morphed into photos of your choice, new or old, good or not-so-good, anything you please, but nothing rude please.


If you are participating, please leave me a comment so I can buzz along and have a look.
Elephant's Child always participates, and her pictures are always worth seeing.


let's begin today with the biggest happening around here this week:

short little curls on the back of my head. That used to be a nine inch ponytail, but I got sick of looking like Broom Hilda every time I combed it out. I had a neighbour take the photo for me.

just down the road a bit, the big house at the front of the block is partly framed,

while smaller homes two,

and three only have plumbing pipes so far.

next door to the new homes, these exotic lilies that I discovered last year and desperately wanted one of, are beginning their new season's growth. This is one of the smaller clumps,

while this big clump has fourteen new growths. 14! I've forgotten what they are called now, but I still want one. I'll look up the archives later for the name.

There's a tree in the grounds here with the most gorgeous orange/red flowers. If anyone knows what it is, I'm happy to be told.

here's a closer look at the opened flowers.

the unopened buds remind me of the plastic fake fingertips with long nails that we wore as children when playing dressups.

back in my own garden, my white geranium is making good strong growth,

the 'black' echeveria is growing a flower spike

and its twin in the other bird bath is also growing a flower spike.

the three inch section of 'donkey's tail' that I planted here is now big enough to be hanging over the edge

this many branched, green and brown aeonium stands out among the black ones, which now also have green centres, although their leaves are much longer.

here is another one, also many branched, with smaller, tighter leaves.

I took these out of the birdbaths as I said I would, and planted them in the garden where they'll have more room to spread.

that left quite a gap in this one, so I "planted" my baby macaw.

"Mike" is now almost completely surrounded by a shady echeveria

"Paddy" seems happy enough to stay in the sun.

while I was out taking photos, my beef casserole dinner was cooking in the slow-cooker.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 

Comments

  1. All beautiful, including the casserole!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fishducky; thank you. The casserole was delicious with mashed potato and baby brussels sprouts. Leftovers for tonight.

      Delete
  2. That one photo looks a lot like a plant my Mom used to have. It was called a 'lipstick' plant. Not sure what the real name was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only slightly confused; the tree flowers? This is a wide and tall tree, way higher than me, I had to zoom right in. We have smaller shrubs called lipstick plants, but the flowers are different.

      Delete
  3. Love the succulent growth.
    My hair is a tad longer, but we do seem to be hair sisters. Pepper and salt (with ever increasing salt)and a mass of curls.
    The lily looks as if it might be Belladonna (Amaryllis). Let us know.
    Love the red plant too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; the succulents all made good growth last season and the new transplants should do well too. I read that autumn is better than spring for moving and new planting, things have time to settle and grow good sized roots to better survive the coming summer heat.
      You're a curly pepper and salt too? Hello sister!
      The lily is that gorgeous purple thing I showcased last year, or maybe it was early this year, I'll find it later today, but definitely not amaryllis.

      Delete
  4. Your hair looks lovely, River.

    My taste buds have been alerted to a casserole now...but I'll have to have my Hot Cross buns, first! :)

    Have yourself a great week ahead...hugs to Angel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; thank you. I don't like hot cross buns, so planned to have raisin toast instead, with lashings of butter of course. But I forgot to buy the raisin bread :(

      Delete
  5. Love things cooked in crock pot.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. peppylady (Dora); I'm new to slow-cookers and now wish I'd had a crockpot when the kids were small, it would have saved so much time.

      Delete
  6. Broom Hilda. That is hilarious. Donkey tails are such fun plants and yours is off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; my curls fall to waves as the hair gets longer and then there's the point where it's near straight frizz, so I had it cut off.
      I have three donkey's tails plants now, all grown from a tiny piece I found on the garden path a couple of years ago. The one here today is the middle sized one; the original tiny piece is now quite big and bushy.

      Delete
  7. Yay for the haircut! ;) That will be super convenient for winter. I've gone fairly short for this upcoming winter, I am not someone who enjoys hairdrying. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred; I've never used a hairdryer, hot drying just makes it frizzy fluff. I'm hopeless at any kind of styling. I have found it to be super convenient already and it has only been four days since the cut.

      Delete
    2. I hate hairdrying so normally I will just let it air dry, but when it is longer it takes ages especially in winter. My short cut now takes maybe 30 minutes to air dry if I do nothing at all but if I towel dry it well enough and then give it a couple of minutes with the hairdryer I can cut it down to 10 minutes or so.

      I once managed to get pneumonia when I went to Glenelg in summer with wet hair - it was an icy day even in the middle of December and my hair was so cold! So now I never go out with wet hair even if it means I have to dry it with a hairdryer first. ;)

      Delete
  8. OMG, I would love it if I had a little curl to my hair! Looks great! Pretty orange whatevers. I envy you your plants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S.J.Qualls; curly hair isn't always easy to live with, I think a lot depends on the cut and the degree of curl. Mine falls to waves instead once it gets to be four inches long, after that it's hopeless, which is why I kept it tied back all the time.

      Delete
  9. Cute face there. All is growing or has grown well and survived over summer.
    You hair looks pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs