Wednesday's Words on a Friday

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write, a story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.
If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.


This month the words are supplied by Cindi and can be found here.


This week's words are:


1. dictionary
2. groundhog
3. dancing
4. rain
5. silent
6. Germany

and/or:

1. bloody
2. confidence
3. ranger
4. Apollo
5. submarine
6. Byron 

and an image which I have included

Here is my story:

“Graziella, , il mio amore**, come, dance with me.”
“Pietro, you old fool, it is raining”.
“Bah! What is rain? Just a little water after all. Dancing in the rain is such fun! You remember, surely you remember. You must remember.”
 “So long ago Pietro, now we are very old.”
“So we dance a little slower, come, take my hand.”
Slowly Graziella stood from her place on the porch seat, Pietro took her hand and led her to the circle of grass, bordered by her favourite roses.
They danced slowly, carefully, as he whispered in her ear. “Remember, Grazie, the year in America. We saw the Apollo launch, visited the submarine from World War Two. Remember Yosemite park where we got lost?”
“I remember Pietro, we were rescued by the Ranger with the so handsome face, he should have romance novels written about him.”
“Ah, he was a good looking man, I was glad you were my wife already, I had confidence you would not look too long at him.”
“Of course not, Pietro, you are my only love. I remember his name was Byron, like the poet.”
Pah! Poetry! I need a dictionary to understand it, the archaic English language. It is not beautiful to me as it is to others.”
“I know this Pietro. You like things more real, easier to understand. I remember something else from that year, that so long honeymoon we had.”
“What do you remember Graziella?”


“The shark tank at the aquarium. All the sharks, constantly moving, yet so silent. But what is this Pietro? This bloody stain I see on your shirt?”
“Is nothing Grazie, a little nosebleed when I sneezed. The new doctor from Germany said it might happen.”
“A reaction to the medicine, yes. I did not notice right away. I should wash the shirt, not be dancing in the rain.”
“But I have so little time left. The shirt can wait. Let us dance.”

**google translation, forgive me if it is wrong

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, bitter-sweet and poignant - a lovely little tale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet and yet so sad, knowing the end is near.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon Qualls; sweet often has sad attached, at least they know and can prepare.

      Delete
  4. Sweet, sweet story. (I couldn't edit my comment so I deleted it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace; thank you. I puzzled for a while over the words, then let the story write itself.

      Delete
  5. So lovely, River. Beautifully written.

    How I loved to dance in the rain...and so often I used to do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; I can picture you dancing in the rain at the resort, guests all around, partying.

      Delete
  6. How lovely and Delightful ! Not altogether delighted with Sharks. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vest; thank you. I like sharks, they are one of natures wonderful creatures, only doing what they were made to do. I'll stay away from them unless I can view them safely, as in an aquarium.

      Delete
  7. Aw...a lifetime of memories, and so little time to make new ones. You know how to bring out the emotions. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; thank you. I was hoping people would feel the emotion.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow River a so true to life story, very well written my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy; thank you. True to life is what I usually aim for.

      Delete
  9. Lovely story as always, and an excellent use of the words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret-whiteangel; thank you, glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  10. Wow! You knocked this one out of the park, girl. (In case you don't follow baseball, that means it's fantastic!) I really love it. You outdid yourself this time. Everyone should dance in the rain at least once...

    Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan; thank you so much, high praise from a real author :)

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful story of a love that only grew with age instead of withering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; that's how love should be. If only....

      Delete
  12. Such a sweet, happy, sad story just packed with emotion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only slightly confused; I'm so glad the emotion came through.

      Delete
  13. This is lovely - you are a deft writer, River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jenny_o; thank you. I try and then the words take over.

      Delete
  14. Oh so beautiful and sad. I loved it. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindi Summerlin; thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  15. A precious story, a good reminder to dance in the rain with the one we love while we can.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The end part being near was sad.
    But well done, you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs