Wednesday's Words on a Friday

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write, a story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.
If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.


This month the words are supplied by  me and can be found right here.


This week's words are:


1. exterior
2. madwoman
3. mountain lake
4. twitched
5. flicker
6. desk

and/or:

1. prediction
2. approach
3. bacteria
4. vaults
5. plane
6. white lilac

here is my story:


Detective Inspector Stanley Grace saw the large, bright pink envelope on his desk even before he stepped through the doorway. To his partner at the other desk he said, “I see the madwoman up in the mountain lake area has sent us another of her predictions.” Irene Fargo’s lips twitched upward with amusement. “Every year for how long now?”  “Fifteen years now. We weren’t here for the first two,” replied Stanley.
“Are we going to follow up as usual or give someone else a chance to meet the old dear?” said Irene. “Let’s see what she has to say before we decide.” Stanley opened the envelope addressed to him *and no-one else*, heavily underlined, and withdrew a single sheet of paper faintly scented with white lilac perfume.
“He is back!” declared the page, in uneven blocky print. “I been saying for years I see him coming. Now he is here. I seen him myself. You better come quick!”
“Irene, I think we’d best approach this ourselves, this isn’t the usual prediction of things to come.” He showed her the paper and suggested she go down to the vaults and collect all the relevant files on this old case. “We see them every year, so they should be close enough to find quickly, I’ll get on the phone and book us a couple of seats on the next plane going that way. I’ll ring the chief first and let him know we’re going again.”
Reminding himself to also pack a box of surgical gloves, (the madwoman, Bernice, had a fear of bacteria) his mind drew forth the last time they’d been there. The exterior of the tiny hut had been freshly painted in a rainbow of pastel colours, but sloppily, as if done by hand by someone who knew nothing about painting. He’d come to realise over the years that Bernice wasn’t truly mad, just a little different, a person who saw things much the same way a clairvoyant might. But she had spent many years locked in a psychiatric ward at that old hospital up there, back when people believed that sea air, exercise and fresh vegetables could help a lot with stabilising certain types of mental illness.
Irene came back with all the files on a wheeled cart and parked it midway between the desks, they would take the two most recent folders with them to refresh their memories as they flew to the nearest airport to Shark Cove, then a hired car would take them the rest of the way. Each of them had a ‘go-bag’ with a change of clothes and emergency cash, stashed in a locker, so they’d be ready to go anywhere at a moment’s notice.  Irene pulled hers out and checked it for toothpaste and brush, then dragged out Stanley’s bag. They didn’t know how long they’d be gone, but the Cove Hotel was nice, she remembered from last year and the Post Office Market and Store could supply anything extra they needed. Irene pulled out a photo of Bernice and studied it. She had come to the case only six years ago, but a flicker in her memory said there was something about Bernice that looked familiar.


Comments

  1. So sorry this is late, I accidentally scheduled it for March instead of today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty good.However, the police in Australia would have lots of experience dealing with the likes of Bernice,and a few Benny's to add to the mix of nutters roaming out of control among us.. Good story line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vest; I have to admit I know very little about real Police work, only what I see on TV shows where every crime is solved in 45 minutes.

      Delete
  3. "You are late" Er I was "No excuse;
    hold your hand out", Whack, " That will teach you, don't be late again"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great beginning to what promises to be a cracking good tale River Looking forward to next weeks episode

    Cathy @ Still Waters









    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy; it isn't actually a beginning, it's another chapter in a story begun last year.

      Delete
  5. Good story and use of the words, River.

    I have a good friend named, Bernice...I should show this to her. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; thank you, did you find the connection to something written last year? I've never known anyone named Bernice, it's an old fashioned name.

      Delete
  6. I sense a continuing story here...I hope.....Hope Bernice keeps safe until they arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only slightly confused; well done, it is a continuing story, and ties in with Lost and Found which was begun last year titled originally Tom's Memories. Bernice will be fine, she's a survivor.

      Delete
  7. Okay, can't wait to meet the "real" Bernice as you move forward with this tale. I believe someday my neighbors will refer to me as the madwoman on the hill... "truly different". LOL Wonder who she reminds him of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie; I'm not sure who the real Bernice is myself yet, she's going to have to reveal herself a bit at a time as I write. There's nothing wrong with being truly different, better than being a copy of everyone else I think.

      Delete
  8. Ok now you once again have me on the edge of my seat waiting for the next chapter, once again a very well written story, I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy; I'll try to get more of this with next week's words. I'd like to learn a bit more about Bernice and who she has seen and why this is so important.

      Delete
  9. YES--I want more too and hope there is more to come. You have me totally interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; there is more to come, but even I don't know exactly what yet.

      Delete
  10. And then? And then? Bernice is more than is known.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; and then? is a great question. I don't have Bernice worked out yet.

      Delete
  11. Most young ladies? of today would kill their Parents if given that name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vest; maybe, maybe not. A lot of old names are coming back.

      Delete
  12. The prediction of how the bacteria was spreading across the continent proved to be right. The approach had to change otherwise the only white lilac left in the room would have to be put away in the vaults of the plane ready to be taken abroad.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Cuban In London; nicely done and thank you for joining us.

      Delete
  13. Now I want to know more about Bernice, what she sees, and why she likes pink and pastels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I want to know more about Bernice myself. The pink envelopes are so they will be easily seen amongst regular mail deliveries. The pastels are a mystery.

      Delete
  14. Great use of the words, as usual. Now, I hope you don't make us wait for months to see what happens next... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor Bernice, i hope nothing awful is going to happen to her. One thing i would not want to be is a clairvoyant, especially if i saw something terrible coming my way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sure hope you end up writing more of this, River! If this was in a book, I'd be itching to turn the page and see what came next :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs